• Latest News

    Monday, 19 August 2019

    Woman dies 6 days after receiving threats from a vendor

    The late Elizabeth Vhanda.


    MASVINGO - A woman who sold her goods at Chitima Flea Market in Masvingo has died six days after a fellow vendor allegedly told her that the day was her last at the flea market.
    The deceased together with many other vendors had allegedly reprimanded Elizabeth Vhanda for selling her wares outside the area designated by council and in  the heat of the moment Vhanda allegedly told Muchazoonei Sagiya that it was the last time that she was going to walk at the flea market alive.
    “Waguma kufamba pano nhasi (this is your last day to walk here alive),” Vhanda allegedly said.
    The threat was made on Wednesday last week and on Friday Sagiya got paralysed and was admitted at Masvingo Provincial Hospital. Her condition got worse and she was transferred to Parirenyatwa Hospital in Harare where she died on Monday afternoon .
    The deceased came from Zaka. Police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Kudakwashe Dhehwa said Vhanda was at the Police Station but she did not make a formal report.
    Chitima Flea Market chairperson Tamisai Katini said everyone heard Vhanda making the threats and confirmed that the latter has since been banished from the market.
    The matter emerged on Tuesday when Vhanda made an attempt to report the case at Masvingo Central Police where she accused her colleagues of calling her a witch. The matter did not go further as hordes of furious vendors went to the Police station to nail her
    More than 40 vendors told the Police that they indeed heard Vhanda making the threats.
    “Vhanda sold her goods on an undesignated place at the flea market and everyone was asking her to obey the rules. Insults were traded with almost every vendor throwing words at her. However, she turned against Sagiya and in her exact words said, waguma kufamba pano nhasi.
    “We were all put aback by those words and we asked her why she had singled out Sagiya and she said that the deceased had called her a whore”, said Katini.
    Two days after the incident Sagiya fell sick and could not walk as she was paralyzed from the waist to the toes.
    “Sagiya was admitted at Masvingo Provincial Hospital on Friday. When I visited her, she said she dreamt of a big cat fish (muramba/mahle) on top of her and when she tried to push it away it entered her stomach and she woke up paralysed” said Katini.
    She got worse and was transferred to Harare on Sunday. She passed away on Monday afternoon.
    Another vendor who declined to be named said vendors were shocked out of their shells by the incident and they have agreed that Vhanda should not come to the market ever again.
    • Comment on The Mirror
    • Facebook Comments


    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Woman dies 6 days after receiving threats from a vendor Rating: 5 Reviewed By: http://www.masvingomirror.com/
    Scroll to Top