• Latest News

    Friday, 30 November 2018

    Morningside man dies in an accident

    Brandon Banda.


    MASVINGO – A 25-year-old man from Morningside in Masvingo died on Monday when a Toyota Mark 2 that he was driving rammed into and went under a lorry at the junction of  St Patricks and Airport Road at  Queensway Shopping Centre in Harare on Monday morning.
    Brandon Banda was driving back from the airport where he had accompanied his mother Ropafadza Magwaza who was travelling to South Africa on a business trip. His mother is a prominent fish farmer in Masvingo and she also works for Family Aids Caring Trust (FACT) Chiredzi as a director.
    Eye witness said that Banda was driving from the airport towards the city centre when he rammed into a T35 at the robot controlled junction. The impact was so heavy that his car went underneath the lorry and broke the rear axle of the T35.
    He died on the spot.
    His mother only knew of her son’s death on arrival at the Customs at the Oliver Tambo Airport when she pulled her phone from the bag and got a message that her son had been involved in an accident. She had to find another place back and she arrived at around 4pm the same day.
    Banda will be buried at Mangwandi Cemetry in Masvingo this morning (Thursday).
    His brother Bruce Banda said the death was devastating. He described his late brother as dependable, humble, honest and was the one responsible of everything on the family plot in Morningside.
    “We are devastated. Brandon was everything at home; he was in charge. He ran the family hatchery, fishery, poultry project and the crops in the fields. He really loved it, he was passionate about it and was a hands-on person,” said Bruce between sobs.
    Banda graduated from Africa University with a degree of Bachelor of Science specialising in agriculture and animal science.
    Banda spent the weekend at a close friend, Felix Gonese’s place in Chinhoyi. He boarded a bus back to Harare at 2pm on Sunday before driving his mother to the airport on Monday morning.
    Gonese said Banda spent the weekend with him on his way back from Kariba where he had gone to do some training on fish farming.
    “We were together the whole of Saturday and he only left my place around 2pm on Sunday on his way to Harare. The last time I spoke to him was on Sunday evening and the next thing I saw was someone’s status saying that he was dead. The news was so shattering. He was a good man to be around with, cheerful and kind. He knew what he wanted in life and it’s so unfortunate that he was taken away before he realised his dreams,” said Gonese.

    • Comment on The Mirror
    • Facebook Comments


    Post a comment

    Item Reviewed: Morningside man dies in an accident Rating: 5 Reviewed By: http://www.masvingomirror.com/
    Scroll to Top